There are so many things that I feel as a native in Arizona, we don’t appreciate. It’s December and I can still go for a walk during the day time in my Birkenstocks while sporting a T-shirt and jeans. That is Phoenix for you!
But in all seriousness, there are so many things that you can get away with in the winter in Arizona, and you really don’t have to go far. Check out my top 5 fav winter pass-times:
1. Go for an evening stroll through the Phoenix (or Tucson) Zoo for the annual event, Zoolights. This tradition started in college with my roommates and I look forward to the camel rides and mediocre hot chocolate every year!
2. Enjoy the nice weather and go for a hike up at Catalina State Park My family loves to go on holiday hikes that usually feature Canyon Loop Trail. It is an easy hike that has a lot of great look out points for moderate hikers.
3. Go on my annual snowboarding trip up at Sunrise Ski Resort to make sure I don’t lose the skill entirely. Since I hardly ever have to deal with the snow, it is a fantasized feature of winter for me. I don’t have the opportunity to loathe the cold as I live in the heat 75% of the year. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
4. Enjoy the crazy decked out neighborhood lights at Winterhaven. I have been going to look at the lights on the houses and watch the musical water light show since I was a little girl. This has been a tradition in my family for years and I know that I will continue visiting Winterhaven even when I have kids.
5. And start new traditions by checking out the New Years Block Party on Mill Ave to bring in the new year!
What did you think of my top picks? Do you agree? Comment below with your favorite activities to do in Arizona 🙂